Watch Videos of Prince Mahesh Business Man Records, Collections ,Trailers, Interviews, Audio Release....

Friday, June 3, 2011

First person: Ilayaraja - Vamsy's musical journey



Today (June 2nd) is Ilayraja birthday. Veteran director Vamsi who has close relationship with Ilayaraja talks about his musical journey with the maestro.

Acquaintance

When I entered into film industry as assistant, M S Viswanathan was ruling Tamil film music industry. All of a sudden, new kind of songs were constantly being played on Radio and like rest of the Madras folks, I was glued to those tunes immediately. They were like breeze of fresh air. As the days passed by, my desire to see that person grew up. Months passed but that chance didn't come. One-day producer Edida Nageswara Rao (I was working as assistant director for his production movies), said that he's dying to make a film with Bharati Raja and asked me to come along with him to meet Bharati Raja. When we went to his office, an office boy greeted us and knowing the reason of our arrival, he handed out a visiting book that has the names and contact numbers of the producers who came to the office to make a film with Bharati Raja. Edida's was 312th number. He was flummoxed knowing this long line but said, "let's try our luck meeting him directly." We went to Lab where he was seeing the final footage of his film there. At the corner of the Lab, a shy guy was sitting and playing with guitar, and Edida Nageswara Rao turned to me and said that gentleman's Ilayaraja and introduced me to Raja gaaru. 

First film
 

Sitara was the first film in our combination. I shot the movie with less dialogues, and after the preview of the movie everyone including my producer Edida Nageswara Rao felt that the movie was bore. But I had confidence and asked Ilayaraja to see the movie. After watching the movie, Ilayaraja hugged me and congratulated that I left those scenes without dialogues to lift it up with music. He elevated the movie with his background score. After Ilayaraja done the re-recording for the movie, we arranged preview show again and those who called the movie as big bore earlier raved it. Such was the brilliance of Raja sir's music. 

First song

"Vennello Godari Andam.." was the first song recorded for the movie. We began on pathos note, but our journey has been sweet and memorable.


Anveshana
When I came up with Anveshana, Raja said, "I am proud of you." He was astonished that I could make a complete different movie from Sitara .  Among the songs in the film, I love Ekanta Vela Ekanta Seva. After watching bits of the movie while Raja sir is doing re-recording for Anveshana , a Tamil producer called his director to include some shots like I did in the song 'Edalo Laya..'. So next day, the director called me and I handed over the shots. That director was Manirathnam. 

Preminchu Pelladu
 

All the songs of Preminchu Pelladu were composed in just 45 minutes. We were planning to go Mummidivaram to visit Balayogi, so he said: “Let’s finish the composition before we start from here as we have nothing to do in the next one hour.” Such superhit songs like “Ee Chaitra Veena Jhum Jhummandi..”, “Gopemma Chetilo Gorumudda..” were composed in just flat 45 minutes. That is Ilayaraja.

But when we were starting the movie, Ramoji Rao Gaaru was not in favor of Ilayraja as he had good relationship with music director Satyam and Balu and preferred either of them. I almost told them that I would drop off the film, if Ilayaraja is not taken.

Alapana
Alapana is the best movie as per as songs are concerned in our combination. He scolded me after the release of the movie that why did I waste such beautiful compositions with a weak narration. Alapana was commercial failure but musically it is my favorite.

Ladies Tailor
Nothing much to talk about this movie’s songs but composing the song, Ekkada Ekkada, in Chakravakam raga should be mentioned special. That is a very tough composition for any music director. You hardly find on that raga in films.


Maharshi
We held composing sessions in Madhurai. We always used to roam around the nearby towns whenever we go outstations for music sittings. While we are touring around Madhurai, Raja said I will compose a song to lyrics for this film. Seetarama Sastry Gaaru brought in, he wrote the lyrics .. Saahasam Naa Padam” to which Raja gaaru composed astounding tune.

But my personal favourite song in the movie is “Maatarani Mounamidi..” written by Vennelakanti. For Vennelakanti, it was third or fourth song in career. In the song,“Sumam Prati Sumam” (written by my friend Nayani Krishnamurthy), there is a mistake but we only noticed it after the release of the movie.


Sri Kanakamahalakshmi Recording Dance Troupe
We did first ever remix song ( Nuvvu Naa Mundu Unte..) in Telugu in this film. Also I turned lyricist with this film; wrote a song “Mallika pogadaku..”

April 1st Vidudala
I never asked Ilayaraja to compose a song in particular pattern or gave him example of a previous hit number until April 1 Vidudala. During the our session of compositions, I told him I want a particular pattern for a situation, he was surprised and asked why am I following other directors who always harp on novelty. When I said a particular pattern in a song very much impressed me and I insisted on same pattern, he reluctantly did. The song that he did was - Okkate Asha.. and the song pattern that influenced me was “Botany Patam Undi..” (from Shiva). 

Detective Narada
For Detective Narada, I wanted a pattern that a singer’s style should represent a bygone era, and other singer’s modern era. I didn’t know how to explain to him. So what I did was taking the song of “ Prema yatralaki.. from Gundamma Katha and modified it and recorded myself on a tape recorder and handed it to Ilayaraja. Amused by attempt, he said: “I am going to Tiruvannamali today (Saturday). Will come back on Monday. I will leave my archestra and team to you these two days. You record it with them and make singers sing it and show it to me.” I obliged and he liked my recording and composition and retained it.


Anumanaspadam
When we teamed up together again after long gap for Anumanaspadam, we know people expect nothing less than our great movies together. Though the movie was not successful at Box-office, means I was not successful as director, but Ilayaraja, like always, won the hearts. Songs were instant hit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment